Wednesday, January 28, 2009

My Grandma, heart of love



This is what I shared at my Grandmothers funeral... Like my uncle said She definately had a heart of love.... I will miss her so much.

What is a Grandmother? They are warmth and cheer and laughter- someone who does loving things you think about long after.

My Grandma,
What I will always remember about my Grandma…
◦ Trips to the farmers market on Saturday afternoons.
◦ Her constant humming of hymns no matter what she was doing.
◦ Sleepovers at her and Grandpas with my cousin Jill and pink sponge curlers in our hair.
◦ Her being a constant prayer warrior. I know for a fact she prayed for every single one of at some point in her life.
◦ So much happiness… the worst thing I ever heard come out of her mouth in my 23 years was “For Pete’s Sake!”
◦Ill remember slacks and davenports and other words I never understood the reason for when you could simply say pants and couch.
◦ Pussy Willows always in her house and her beautiful gardens she loved to work in forever.
◦ Playing any and every card game until the wee hours of the nite when we went for visits.
◦ Bill Knapp’s after church many Sundays with her and grandpa.
◦ When her and grandpa watched my brother and I when my parents went to Hawaii and her fixing us dinner at like 3 or 4 pm when we got home from school.., and we were starving by the time dinner time came… not knowing we already got served dinner and that older people are definitely on a different time schedule.
◦ and most of all I will remember that energetic, perky, loving smile.

My grandma was known for her cards. Not only her competitiveness at the card table but her thoughtfulness of card giving. My mom told me of several occasions when she would take her shopping and she would patiently wait as she gathered 20-30 cards at a time at Hallmark… her favorite store. One of my last memories of my Grandma I will always hold close to my heart… Last weekend I came home to visit her right after she had come home from the hospital, struggling to hold back tears as I entered her home I couldn’t help but chuckle and smile. What was she doing? Writing out birthday cards, addressing envelopes, asking for someone to find her stamps, and flipping through her address book making sure she didn’t forget any upcoming birthdays, or anniversaries. This is a great representation of who grandma was, who she is. In the mist of her pain, fear, and final days she was more concerned about making sure that others get that special recognition on that special day.

Her favorite scripture..

“Thou will keep him in perfect peace whose mind is steadfast on thee. Isaiah 26:3

2 comments:

  1. Welcome to the world of blogging...I had heard you had given a wonderful talk for the grandchildren and I felt bad i had missed it so I really am glad I got to read it...you are a special girl...luv you Denise

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan! I finally figured out how to comment on your blog! Girl, you better get blogging - - I'd love to see and hear what you're up to! It was good seeing you and Ross at Lynne's wedding! :)

    ReplyDelete